Military facilities

FILE - In this May 20, 201, file photo, Okinawa Gov. Takeshi Onaga speaks during a press conference in Tokyo. Onaga, who led an anti-U.S. military base movement on the southern Japanese island, died of pancreatic cancer Wednesday night, Aug. 8, 2018, at a hospital where he had been treated, Japanese media said. He was 67. (AP Photo/Shizuo Kambayashi, File)
August 08, 2018 - 9:52 pm
TOKYO (AP) — Okinawa Gov. Takeshi Onaga, who led opposition to U.S. military bases on the southern Japanese island, has died of pancreatic cancer. He was 67. He underwent surgery for the cancer in April and resumed work in May. Onaga had said he was determined to fulfill his duties and live up to...
Read More
FILE - In this July 20, 2016 file photo, six fitness tracking devices measuring step counts and other fitness features are worn in New York. A new Pentagon order says military troops and other defense personnel on certain sensitive bases and warzone areas won’t be allowed to use fitness tracker or cellphone applications that can reveal their location. The memo stops short of banning the fitness trackers or other electronic devices, which are often linked to cell phone applications and can provide the users’ GPS details to social media. It says GPS technologies present significant risk to personnel. (AP Photo/Bebeto Matthews)
August 06, 2018 - 8:52 pm
WASHINGTON (AP) — Military troops and other defense personnel at sensitive bases or certain high-risk warzone areas won't be allowed to use fitness-tracker or cellphone applications that can reveal their location, according to a new Pentagon order. The memo, obtained by The Associated Press, stops...
Read More
August 02, 2018 - 2:48 pm
DAYTON, Ohio (AP) — Federal and state authorities in armored vehicles and unmarked cars swarmed onto a sprawling Air Force base in Ohio on Thursday amid reports of an active shooter at a medical center. Workers at Wright-Patterson were told to shelter in place on the sprawling base. Video from...
Read More
A grave marker for an unknown soldier from the Korean War is shown at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific in Honolulu on Monday, July 30, 2018. Human remains handed over to the U.S. government from North Korea are expected to arrive Wednesday in Honolulu, where scientists will begin the painstaking process of trying to match DNA from the bones to those of American soldiers who didn't return from the Korean War more than a half century ago. (AP Photo/Caleb Jones)
August 01, 2018 - 2:14 am
HONOLULU (AP) — U.S. Vice President Mike Pence is flying to Hawaii on Wednesday to receive 55 boxes of bones recently handed over by North Korea. The remains are believed to belong to servicemen from the U.S. and other United Nations member countries who fought alongside the U.S. during the Korean...
Read More
A soldier carries a casket containing a remain of a U.S. soldier who was killed in the Korean War during a ceremony at Osan Air Base in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Friday, July 27, 2018. The U.N. Command said the 55 cases of war remains retrieved from North Korea will be honored at a ceremony next Wednesday at a base in South Korea. (Kim Hong-Ji/Pool Photo via AP)
July 27, 2018 - 10:53 am
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump thanked North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Friday for "fulfilling a promise" to return the remains of missing U.S. soldiers from the Korean War, as a U.S. military plane made a rare trip into North Korea to retrieve 55 cases of remains. North Korea returned...
Read More
A U.N. honor guard carries a casket containing remains believed to be from American servicemen killed during the 1950-53 Korean War after arriving from North Korea, at Osan Air Base in Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Friday, July 27, 2018. The U.N. Command says the 55 cases of war remains retrieved from North Korea will be honored at a ceremony next Wednesday at a base in South Korea. (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon, Pool)
July 27, 2018 - 9:46 am
PYEONGTAEK, South Korea (AP) — The Latest on U.S. war remains returned by North Korea (all times local): 12:20 p.m. The U.N. Command says the 55 cases of war remains retrieved from North Korea will be honored at a ceremony next Wednesday at a base in South Korea. A U.S. military plane flew to...
Read More
Pablo Villavicencio leans out of an SUV while talking to reporters after being released from the Hudson County Correctional Facility, Tuesday, July 24, 2018, in Kearny, N.J. A judge on Tuesday ordered the immediate release of Villavicencio, an Ecuadorean immigrant who was being held at the facility for deportation after he delivered pizza to a Brooklyn Army installation. U.S. District Judge Paul Crotty said Villavicencio can remain in the United States while he exhausts his right to try to gain legal status. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
July 25, 2018 - 8:47 am
NEW YORK (AP) — An Ecuadorean immigrant who was held for deportation after delivering pizza to a Brooklyn Army installation walked out of an immigration detention center house hours after a judge ordered his immediate release. Pablo Villavicencio exited the detention center shortly before 9 p.m...
Read More

Pages